Thursday, February 25, 2010

Hallelujah!

 Praise the lord! Only messing, I actually want to talk about the song, by Leonard Cohen. I have been learning to play the song on the piano and I love it. When it reaches the arpeggio bit (an arpeggio is a scale which goes through the 1st, the 3rd the 5th and the 8th note of the scale) it flows so well. It is incredibly fun to play that bit. The only problem with playing a song that I already know so well is that it's constantly stuck in my head. I find myself speaking it instead of singing it aswell.
 I have probably been bragging about it to my friends but it's hard not to when the song is so badly stuck in my head. I have started trying to play it on the recorder but that's hard because the lowest note in the song is actually a pretty high note on the recorder, which makes playing the song devilishly difficult ( wow, I used the word devilishly!)
  The version I like the most to listen to is, surprisingly, Alexandra burkes version. She is a great singer, though a horrible songwriter, and it is played simply but beautifully. I find that Leonard Cohen speaks his version rather than sings it and the other covers just shout alot
click to see her version

No comments:

Post a Comment